Friday, October 8, 2010

My favorite place

This is a picture of Annahootz Mountain, a place that i like to go to hike, hunt, and just explore. this was hte first time it was sunny when I was there.

I was born here, at Sitka Community Hospital,  (Matt Hunter's dad delivered me). Sitka is a city by Gulf Of Alaska, and i have spent my life exploring the steep mountians, deep fjords, and thick rainforest. IF you go back into the center of the island, there are a few glaciers, but they are really hard to reach.  One thing that I like about Sitka is that there is such a diverse ecosystem here. One one side of the island is rainforests and huge Sitka spruce, the other side is more sparse, with much more rock and ice. Up above treeline you get into alpine, where nothing grows taller than six inches.  Out in the sound, an extinct volcano has deposited a layer of ash that stunts growth in the surrounding areas. Archeologists are still finding caves with evidence of refugia around southeast so it's a really exciting time

2 comments:

  1. Great GE post. And cool connection to Matt's dad.

    I really appreciate the perspectives of those who have the deepest roots in Alaska. And it's hard to beat Sitka for beauty and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tyler....

    Please change your comment settings to "Moderated".

    Drop me a line if you need help doing this.

    ReplyDelete